Trekking through the Scriptures is an adventure. Feel free to comment here, or email me personally.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

James 5:13-14


"Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing psalms. Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord."
                                                respond in relationship             
Sometimes Christians adopt a mentality of “image” rather than reality.  We might feel lousy, but in an effort to appear “Christian” we give a stock “Christian” response.  We might not really know the answer to a question, but rather than really think about it, we give a “Sunday School Answer”.   In the Old Testament, God calls for truth in the inner most being, but we seem to have fallen into a belief that some truth is dangerous to our reputation.  And it is, if my reputation is all about me.  But if I am truly being transformed, my reputation is not my concern—knowing God is.  And the way to knowing God more fully must involve truth in the innermost being of who I am, where ever I am, whatever my current state of affairs.
We live in a fallen world where both man and creation are suffering the consequences of sin. How will we respond to the hard, negative effects?  How will we respond when we are the ones who can enjoy the benefits of inequities in the present world?  To be faithful in each and every circumstance is to be in continual fellowship with God.  And this present fellowship prepares us for eternal relationship.
We have the freedom to choose how we respond to victories, defeats, health, sickness, wealth, poverty...  People and circumstances can cause the loss of anything material and temporal, but you cannot be robbed of your relationship with God.  You can choose to fellowship with your anger, or pride, or worry, or you can ask God to forgive and empower you, praise God for loving you, and thank Him for touching you through others.
If I am suffering from trials of oppression, persecution, or something else that is outside of myself and beyond my control, it is of utmost importance that I find the strength and grace which God provides.  If I don't, I am likely to end up angry, resentful, stressed out, and insecure.  On the other hand if everything is going well for me and "life is good", if I take sole credit for this state of affairs, I slip into self-confidence, pride, judgment and criticism of others, without the reality of "blessed in order to be a blessing".  It would be better for everyone if I turned my heart and eyes with thankfulness and praise to the One who gives good gifts and can then see how to share with others.  If I am suffering from sickness, it might be helpful to reflect on God's provisions in my life in the past, and in His presence in other people through whom He loves me tangibly.  If I do not do this, my natural path will probably include worry, fear, and perhaps despair.  The current illness probably accentuates my need for other people--which is how we are designed--for relationship.
There is no situation in which God is absent or unavailable if we call on Him.  Let us affirm that relationship with God by inviting Him into the reality of our every emotionR, every joyR,  every struggleR,  and let us enjoy His grace!  
Read and Pray: Matthew 6:9-13, Philippians 4:11-13, Hebrews 12:12-15

No comments:

Post a Comment