Trekking through the Scriptures is an adventure. Feel free to comment here, or email me personally.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Galatians 1:13-17


     "For you have heard of my former conduct in Judaism, how I persecuted the church of God beyond measure and tried to destroy it.  And I advanced in Judaism beyond many of my contemporaries in my own nation, being more exceedingly zealous for the traditions of my fathers.  But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb and called me through His grace, to reveal His Son in me, that I might preach Him among the Gentiles, I did not immediately confer with flesh and blood, nor did I go up to Jerusalem to those who were apostles before me; but I went to Arabia, and returned again to Damascus."

                                     confer with God
            Prior to Paul’s revelation encounter with Jesus on the road to Damascus, his identity, his “badge of honor”, was apparently wrapped up in being something like “top-of-the-class”, in a position of power and control.  He honed his reasoning skills and was zealous about maintaining traditions known and familiar to him. 
            What is your “badge of honor”?  What are the keys to your identity?  What gives you a sense of purpose, meaning and value as a person?  Pause and think about this for a moment, and jot down a few ideas.  _________________________________________________________________________
            At this point in the letter, Paul explains that he now sees God was working in His life even from the time of conception.  But Paul did not really “get it” until he experienced the grace of God—through being blinded—on the road to Damascus.  This was an intimate, personal experience where Paul encountered his own wrong thinking by encountering the love and grace of Jesus.  That love and grace revealed to Paul was to be revealed as well, in Paul for the benefit of others.
He was stopped short in his pursuit of self-justification or self-validation.  And here he makes a choice:  rather than pressing on and forward on his own, he withdraws to think these things over.  (I suspect he was “drawing near” to God.)  It is after this that Paul is able to launch out in ministry. 
How about you?  Are you chasing some sort of self-justification or validation?  How so?  _____________________________________________________________________________  Have you ever been stopped in your tracks by God’s grace?  Are you willing to stop and listen for His voice?  If you catch a glimpse of what God may want to do in you, or through you, will you confer with people to gain assurance and approval, or will you first turn to God in prayer and let your mind dwell upon God’s purposes as presented in Scripture?  This is conferring with God rather than men.[1]
Read and Pray:  2 Chronicles 15:2, Psalm 46:10, James 4:6-8a




[1]Of course it is great to draw on the wisdom of many counselors (Proverbs 11:14, 15:22)
  but only after we have spent time with The Wonderful Counselor.  

No comments:

Post a Comment