Trekking through the Scriptures is an adventure. Feel free to comment here, or email me personally.

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Galatians 5:16-18


                                                           Walk in the Spirit       
“Walk in the Spirit” is a pretty typical Christian phrase, but what does it actually mean?  How do you practically do this?  _____________________________________________________________________
The promise of freedom from bondage to sin is bound up with the call to have our lives in Christ and His life in us.  There is no magical phrase or prayer that changes who we are, but there is a very real experience that begins the moment we receive His gift and commit to walk with God.  Sometimes, in having hoped for a total and immediate deliverance from the flesh, people become disillusioned with their faith, believing it to be ineffective.  But is a human life deemed ineffective simply because at its initial point of beginning it is quite dependent and ill-equipped to be productive?  Of course not!  That life is valued in part, for the potential it carries.  We too, as new creations in Christ Jesus are full of incredible potential that can and will be realized only as we continue to learn and grow and walk with the Spirit of God.
The more we walk in the Spirit of God, the less we are inclined to seek the fulfillment of “self”.  Likewise, the more we seek the mind of Christ, the less we will be motivated by our own will and ambitions.  What  replaces that will and ambition of ours? __________________________________________________
Something that I find interesting in these verses is the contrast that is set up:

   “walk”èmake progress                        versus            “lust”èwant badly

   by the Spiritèin God’s power            versus            of the fleshèof my own power

And there is the tension between the flesh which “lusts” against the Spirit and the Spirit against the flesh.  What do you think that means? __________________________________________________________________
I believe this has to do with desires and yearnings.  The Spirit of God yearns for my fellowship and unity with God.  My flesh on the other hand, yearns for more immediate, tangible, temporary “feel goods” (–and sometimes even the ‘not-feel-goods’, like self-condemnation and regret).  Unfortunately, I sometimes fall for the here-and-now experience rather than thinking the thoughts,doing the things, embracing the love that God has displayed and wants communicated in and through me.  This creates a sort of battle zone within.  And this is why it is so very important to continually come back to grace and truth.  I am forgiven, I am free from the law of my flesh and my self-justification (or condemnation) as well as the “law” of my self-satisfaction. 
As I learn to be led by the Spirit, l also learn to love in thought, in word, and in actions, not because I am compelled by law, but because I am choosing to give the Spirit freedom to love well through me.
Read and Pray:  I Corinthians 2:9-12, Romans 6:14, 8:5-6, Psalm 50:23

No comments:

Post a Comment