Trekking through the Scriptures is an adventure. Feel free to comment here, or email me personally.

Monday, November 14, 2011

Galatians 3:6-9


                                                 Family Resemblance
                Whose family likeness do you bear?  Do I come across as more like one who lives by faith in God’s great kindness, goodness and mercy, or do I resemble more one who thinks that everything stands or falls on my own actions and accomplishments?  Unfortunately, I think the latter is often more descriptive of my thoughts and behaviors.
Abraham, who trusted and believed before he really accomplished anything that we know of, bears God’s graciousness (Genesis 11-25).  Saul, whose natural and acquired abilities gave him a sense of control and self-sufficiency, bears man’s independence (1 Samuel 9-31).  Here is the paradox of faith:  by ceasing to try to do things all for ourselves, and throwing ourselves on the mercy of God, we are counted as “justified in our humility, while efforts to present ourselves “justified” condemn us in our pride and self-righteousness.  These men each suffered hardships and enjoyed blessings, but it is Abraham whose blessings resulted in great blessings for others.
                From the very first recorded covenant between God and man, to the present day, God bids us to come, and he counts us as righteous based upon our faith in the grace offered through His program.  Abraham believed God and it was counted as righteousness.  He was blessed.  And he was blessed so that he would be a blessing. 
Its funny how often do I try to “earn” blessings from God.   Sometimes I even do it thinking that I will achieve some state of blessing and be a blessing to others.  This is true and possible on some levels I suppose, but the reality is that when I have “achieved”, I try to impose this same “achievement” on others.  Obviously this is neither grace nor faith.  My “high standards”, my being “together”, my “knowledge”, do not invite people into the unmerited grace of God, but they often invite people into a mindset of earning status in the Christian community, protecting oneself, and trying to achieve God’s approval by our own works.  Do I resemble Saul? 
The beautiful thing about Abraham’s experience is that ALL are invited in—not just the high achievers, the self-starters, the socially acceptable.  Anyone who chooses to come, trusting in God’s mercy and goodness is not only invited, but enabled to enter into a relationship with God through faith in Jesus Christ.  Time and again I need to return to the reality of what the invitation is:  grace to fall at God’s feet, imperfect, sinful, needy, and broken, ready to receive and walk in the healing and restoration He has for my soul.  In this way, I am blessed right alongside Abraham who believed. How about you?  Who do you most resemble?
Read and Pray:  Genesis 12:1-3, Psalm 33, John 8

No comments:

Post a Comment