Trekking through the Scriptures is an adventure. Feel free to comment here, or email me personally.

Friday, November 4, 2011

Galatians 2:1-2


"Then after fourteen years I went up again to Jerusalem with Barnabas, and also took Titus with me.  And I went up by revelation, and communicated to them that gospel  which I preach among the Gentiles, but privately to those who were of reputation, lest by any means I might run, or had run, in vain."
                                  moving by revelation
Paul says he went up to Jerusalem because of revelation.  We can’t know for certain what form that took.  It could have been a personal revelation like what Peter experienced (Acts 10), or it could have been one that came to the  group of believers (Acts 13:2), or one that came by a prophet (Acts 11:27-30).  What we do know, is that Paul responded to the revelation.
In the parable of the talents, Jesus illustrates how being faithful in the little things positions one to become faithful in much greater things. (Luke 19:17)  In this part of Galatians, the word ‘revelation’ has the connotation of an unveiling of supernatural origin.  Have you ever experienced an “unveiling of supernatural origin”? The Bible is the communication of the will of God, so wouldn’t it fit in this category?  I believe so.
The question now is, am I faithful to the revelation I have received thus far?  Am I seeking more, above and beyond, when I haven’t been faithful with the bits I already hold?  It seems that when Paul received the revelation, he packed his bags and went, using the opportunity for the gospel of Jesus.  We need to do the same, whether physically, or figuratively, we need to act on the revelation we have.
I have struggled off and on with worry.  Has God given revelation about that?  Of course He has!  I need to pack in the Truth on this, and travel to a place of trust.  I have also struggled with insecurity.  It is time to grab hold of His Truth—His amazing grace, and move over to confidence in His love for me in spite of my many failures and imperfections.  How about you?  Where are you currently residing?  Based on the fruits in your life, and on the truth revealed in Scripture, are you where God wants you?  If not, are you willing to act on that revelation, pack in the Truth, and make the journey?
When I have been willing to act on it, there has always been good fruit and reward, even if at times it has been very hard.  Paul encountered some great challenges that put his faithfulness and his trust in a gospel of grace right on the line.  He stood firm, not in his own ability or accomplishments, but in the completeness of the loving work of Jesus.  I pray God will empower me, and each of you, to do the same.
Read and Pray:  Proverbs 29:18, Matthew 16:15-17,Acts 17:24-31, Ephesians 1:15-21

No comments:

Post a Comment