Trekking through the Scriptures is an adventure. Feel free to comment here, or email me personally.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

1 Thess. 2:1-4


                             worth the effort 
Paul’s coming was not in vain.  The Word of God does not become null and void.  Suffering and ill treatment did not stop Paul’s speaking the gospel.
Yet, for us in our American culture, we seem to embrace “easy”, “fast”, and “painless”.  Is this the way of truth?  Though I have pacifist leanings, I cannot deny the warfare terminology found in relation to our spiritual life:
  • Endure hardship as a good soldier of Jesus Christ
  • No one engaged in warfare entangles himself in the affairs of this life, that he may please him who enlisted him as a soldier
  • We do not battle against flesh and blood, but the weapons of our warfare are spiritual…
When we enter the Christian life—accepting a place in God’s family—we are approved by God because of Jesus, and God entrusts us with the message of His love toward other people.  The problem lies in the fact that evil is real and present in our world, it is opposing the goodness and grace of God, and humans have a free will to follow and serve whom and/or what they choose.
            Conflict is part of the package.  I don’t like this reality, but it is not one I can change.  What I can do, is aim to please God.  I can also keep in mind that the conflicts and trials can be used as tools in the process of purifying my heart.  I can keep my focus on loving others rather than focusing on my own comfort or loss of comfort.
            Many times, the things I can do, are not things I would naturally do.  There is a conflict, a struggle, a contending for that which is good and pure and right.  That is why I need people in my life to exhort and encourage me, and I need to be willing to exhort and encourage others.  In Jesus Christ, faith was once and for all delivered to all those who will receive it, but it must be taken up and applied by individual people in order for it to render effect.  We must “contend earnestly for the faith” so that we do not forfeit it.
            How are you receiving the input of those who are exhorting you with the truth?  Are you willing to exhort others for their benefit?  Exhortation is not comfortable, but it is good. Loving exhortation directs one's heart to the gospel of God which brings freedom, hope, joy and peace to all who will receive it.  It is worth the effort!
Read and PrayIsaiah 55:11, Hebrews 4:12, Hebrews 3:12-14, 2 Timothy 2:3-15

No comments:

Post a Comment