Trekking through the Scriptures is an adventure. Feel free to comment here, or email me personally.

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Read 1 Thessalonians 1:5


                                       Experience   & Communication
At Christmas we get the yearly greeting and update from a variety of friends.  It is always good to hear from them, to know how they are and what is going on in their lives.  But for me, there is also a down side resulting from my own insecurity.  I remember one particular letter from dear friends.  Their life is currently full of crisis and trial, yet their activities continue to be full of Christian service to the poor and marginalized.  I really am glad for them and for what God is doing through them, until I turn and look at myself.
                My thoughts go like this:  ‘In my life, there is not much to speak of in terms of really reaching out in my community; of touching and helping the poor and marginalized.  I feel like a failure.  They are preaching the gospel in word and power.  Next to them, I only seem to preach in word’
                Despairing of my own inadequacy, I came to the Lord in prayer and silence.  In this place, it occurred to me that in the New Testament we really only hear from five of the original apostles and from only three who came later.  Maybe God’s power looks very different depending on who is dispensing it, as well as when, where and to whom it will be dispensed.  Could it be that our preaching in power does not always look the same?  (If it did, in our human pride and madness I suspect we would have by now formalized, and marketed, the method of the “power”.)
                Consider the diversity of how God’s power was seen and experienced through Moses, Deborah, David, Solomon, Jeremiah, Daniel, Mary, Peter, John, Paul… It becomes obvious that what it looks like to bring the gospel to people “not in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Spirit and in much assurance”, will vary.  Paul articulates the beauty of diversity in 1 Corinthians 12:4-11 and Romans 12:3-8.  And all of this is in the unity of God’s heart:  loving people and desiring their good. 
                The goal is not to be a good Christian like my friends the ‘so-and-so’ family. The goal is to love God.  In that love, because of that love, I am to be open to when and how God may desire to work through me, to extend His love and goodness to others—that is power!  What if I am called to dispense some power of God unseen?  Will I sacrifice my comfort, my sleep, at times my food, for the hidden power of fasting and prayer?  If I am wrapped up in my own insecurity and comparisons, it is unlikely I will pray for the ministries of others.  I will be more likely to begrudge their experience, than to collaborate with the Holy Spirit in supporting and encouraging them with thanksgiving and prayer.  If I compare and class my self by the standard of my friend’s activities, I am a fool, for that is not God’s standard! (2 Cor. 10:12)
                It is time to stop focusing on myself and the way I do or do not measure up in terms of my perception of power.  It is time to focus on knowing God and letting him be known in a unique way, in and through me.  No longer is my priority to do as much as, or the same thing as some one else.  My priority is to learn to walk in the Spirit and be led by the Spirit, This is where I will experience the power of God, fellowship of His Spirit, and the assurance which comes from Him.
Read and Pray:  Exodus 4:27-31, Hebrews 2:1-4, Colossians 1:3-6, Acts 1:8

No comments:

Post a Comment